Wednesday, November 18, 2009

You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em


How I ever got through almost six decades of life without playing poker, I just don't know, but the occasion arose recently for me to learn and to play. I was invited to a Ladies Only Poker Night at a friend's house, and the invitation came early enough for me to gather my resources and learn something about the game so as not to be a total beginner. So I cornered my friend Elaine into learning with me and going to the party. Between the internet and Poker for Dummies, we managed to learn enough to at least not be totally in the dark at Poker Night.

We did not know what to expect, although we had been assured that anyone who did not know how to play would be taught. There was a $20 buy-in and ten people playing. The first and second place winners would split the pot, 70/30%.

First of all, playing with ten people is crazy. Secondly, it is significantly different from the sources we'd used. Third, it takes guts and luck to win. Amazingly, I won the very first hand, which, of course, was only practice and so I didn't get any winnings! Ha! So the game began in earnest. It turned out that one family of a mother and two daughters clearly dominated the game and knew a whole lot more about it than the rest of us put together. After hours, one by one, players began to drop out because they lost all their chips. I actually had pretty good luck most of the time and ended up being one of the last three in the game! Unfortunately, at one o'clock A.M., I went out before the other two and thus didn't win any money, but I had a lot of fun trying!

And really, I at least didn't make a fool of myself . . . except one time, and we won't relate that story. I'm happy for my friend Dianna, whose house was the location of the party, because she staged a fantastic comeback from NO chips and won! I hope we play again sometime soon.

3 comments:

  1. Video poker is a secret passion of mine! I'm so glad you had fun!!!! I can play for hours on nickel rolls in Vegas..... (Hope)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, cool! What fun that must have been! I know nothing about poker and have never played. I used to play Canasta with Larry's grandmother. That was a lot of fun! Playing poker surely sounds like more fun than I'm having. (Sandra)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found through my son's experience it takes skill and a bit of luck to win at poker. He used to play often. Fun, sociable time! (Bay)

    ReplyDelete